I don’t know why, but I haven’t ever had it in me to make stuffed peppers.
They used to not even appeal to me…but thanks to the interwebs, lately I have been drooling. So scanning through last week, I ran across several that didn’t have too much ‘stuff’ in it, and everything I recognized (key factor in my cooking), so I clenched my teeth and went for it. I used turkey too, so its like I was a granola mom. Basically. In a round about way…..minus the lack of Chacos and adding chips and guac. A girl can pretend, right?
Later, after stuffing my face, I wondered why I had waited so long. So dang good. I did make three, for the offspring, with just rice.
- 1lb Ground Turkey
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained (15.25 oz)
- 1½ cups of frozen corn
- 2 cans of whole tomatoes, drained and rinsed (14 oz.)
- 2 tbsp freeze dried chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp chopped onion
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 2 pkgs of taco seasoning
- 6 bell peppers, cut lengthwise, stems and seed removed and cleaned
- ⅔ cup of chicken broth
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Chili Powder
- Pregeat oven to 350.
- In a large skillet, brown turkey until all liquid is evaporated. Season with salt.
- Add onion, cilantro, garlic, taco seasoning, beans and tomatoes.
- Mix together well and cover, simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Stir in frozen corn, recover and simmer for about 5 minutes, till excess liquid is gone.
- While turkey mixture is simmering, cut peppers lengthwise and remove the stem and all seeds, rinse off and pat dry if necessary.
- Lay peppers open side up in a dish, pour chicken broth into the bottom of the dish.
- Fill each pepper with turkey mixture till full.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 50 or so minutes, till peppers are tender.
- Take dish out and carefully remove foil, there will be steam.
- Top each pepper with Mozzarella and chili powder.
- Return to oven, uncovered and bake until cheese is melted, maybe 3-5 minutes.