I asked 31 bloggers the same 35 questions for my 31Days Series.
Here are there answers:
Caitlin from Desert Domicile is one of those people that keeps popping up in various forms in my life. I swooned over her images on Pinterest, saw her on Better Homes and Gardens (which she won best DIY blog of the year), and again on Apartment Therapy and Good Housekeeping. Then I stumbled across her Instagram and it all came together that this was the same person….one of those ‘Heyyy, I know her’ moments. Except I don’t really know her know her, just greatly admire her work.
And think you will too…
Interwebs, Meet Desert Domicile
1. A bit about yourself, where did you grow up?
I grew up in a small suburb North of Chicago.
2. Main subject of your blog?
DIY and home decorating
3. Was a design background something you were interested in when you were young?
Yes! I always knew I’d end up doing something art related so I went to an art school and got a Bachelor’s degree in graphic design. If I knew what I know now, I probably would have gotten my degree in Interior Design but hindsight is 20/20.
4. Fall or spring?
5. If you could have a different profession, would you?
I hope my boss isn’t reading this but yes haha
6. If so, what would that be?
I’d love to be an interior decorator or stylist for photo shoots.
7. What style do you usually post about?
Modern and contemporary. Our home has been described as eclectic too, which is weird to me but I guess the description fits!
8. What is a style that you are drawn to, but isn’t part of your normal material to talk about?
I like traditional interiors with their sleek, tailored furniture but I can’t see myself living in a traditional styled home.
9. East Coast or West Coast?
10. Main go-to colors?
Navy, gold, black and white.
11. Color combo’s you have been dying to try?
I’d love to try a mint and coral combo.
12. Antiques or new pieces of furniture and decor?
I like a mix of both!
13. Avid DIY’er or would you rather buy it finished?
Again, a mix of both. I’m an avid DIY’er when I can make something for significantly less than it would cost to buy but sometimes it’s nice to buy something already finished and have one less project to work on!
14. Favorite Music to work to?
It depends on my mood/what I’m working on but I like a combination of EDM and hip-hop with a little indie thrown in. I’m currently on a Childish Gambino kick.
15. Early Bird or Night Owl?
16. Eat in or Go Out?
We eat most of our meals in but go out occasionally.
17. Coke or Pepsi?
18. Carpet or Hard Flooring?
19. Country you want to visit?
20. What do you do to unwind?
I shop. More often than not I leave the store empty handed but it’s still fun to walk around and get ideas for new projects. As they say, shopping is my therapy!
21. Who is your Design Icon?
22. Outside or Inside?
23. Piece of work that still makes you proud till this day?
Our house. It’s our first home and we built it! We were working off of plans so it’s not entirely custom but we made a lot of changes to the plans without really knowing what we were doing. We also had to pick out all of our finishes for everything (cabinets, floors, paint color, etc.) before our home could be built. Talk about nerves!
24. What is the movie that you can watch over and over and it never gets old?
Can we change it to a TV show? If so, The Big Bang Theory.
25. Favorite Social Media Platform?
Instagram – I’m @desertdomicile if you’d like to follow along! 🙂
26. What movie character do you think you identity the most with?
I can’t think of one, unfortunately!
27. Cupcakes or Cake?
28. Best gift you have ever received?
My college education. My mom didn’t want me to have any student loan debt after I graduated so she saved and pinched pennies to pay for it out of her pocket.
29. Best gift you have ever given?
I got my mom an Ecosphere for Christmas a few years ago and she is absolutely gaga about it to this day! She just had it recharged and loves watching the shrimp swim around in their little environment!
30. Would you rather talk to or text someone?
Talking in person, texting on the phone (obviously).
31. Coffee or Tea?
32. One thing you cannot live without?
33. Favorite type of flower?
Orchids. I can’t keep them alive but I think they’re so beautiful!
34. Best thing about this year?
My boyfriend’s schedule changed so he has weekends off for the first time in the 6 years we’ve been together! We’ve always worked different schedules and have never had the same days off so this is very exciting for us 🙂
35. What are you most looking forward to in the upcoming months?
Celebrating my boyfriend’s 30th birthday in Vegas, the holiday season, and taking some time off from my 9-5 at the end of the year.