I asked 31 bloggers the same 35 questions for my 31Days Series.
Here are there answers:
I met Jen from With Heart this past summer at Haven, and was beyond giddy to meet her in person. I absolutely adore her work and she was one of the nicest people to talk to. Not to mention her class was one of my favorites 😉
You guys are going to love her!
Interwebs, meet With Heart:
1. A bit about yourself, where did you grow up? I grew up in a suburb of Salt Lake City, Utah. It’s such a beautiful place and I love exploring the outdoors. I studied journalism and spent many years working as a television anchor and reporter both in Utah and in the midwest but after the birth of my little girl, I realized I was ready to make a change. I branched out on my own when she was a year old and have loved exploring my other talents and interests.
2. Main subject of your blog? It is mainly design and DIY based. Because of my television background, I offer a lot of video tutorials and home tours. It’s been a great way to combine my loves of design and storytelling.
3. Was a design background something you were interested in when you were young? I was a child who was always re-designing my dollhouses and bedroom. Design has always been a part of who I am and for as long as I can remember, I’ve been drawn to vintage and antique pieces. I started collecting vintage china when I was 18. I love marrying old and new in each space.
4. Fall or spring? I’m a fall girl at heart. Blame growing up near the mountains and the gorgeous changing of the leaves. Utah is such a showoff come September!
5. If you could have a different profession, would you? This is my different profession— ha! It was a big leap of faith to leave a career I had worked nearly a decade at and had achieved great success doing, but I chose to follow my heart. It has been unexpectedly wonderful and I feel like I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be. I’m so grateful for every opportunity that has come my way and with each one, I’m convinced more and more that God led me to the place I needed to be most.
7. What style do you usually post about? I think I’m pretty transitional, meaning right in the middle of modern and traditional. I believe in making spaces sentimental, and love a great family heirloom used in a new way.
8. What is a style that you are drawn to, but isn’t part of your normal material to talk about? I can really appreciate a truly modern and minimalistic space. I think the simplicity is beautiful.
9. East Coast or West Coast? I lived on the east coast for a while and loved it so much. I guess if it was truly coast I’d say East, but I love living out West!
10. Main go-to colors? White, gold, coral
11. Color combo’s you have been dying to try? I’m loving olive green lately. I think it pairs so beautifully with white and gold!
12. Antiques or new pieces of furniture and decor? I love a mix of both!
13. Avid DIY’er or would you rather buy it finished? DIY baby!
14. Favorite Music to work to? I love folk music. My husband says I have the musical taste of a 60 year old. I love James Taylor, John Denver, Ingrid Michelson, and so on.
15. Early Bird or Night Owl? By nature I’m a morning person! My husband is a night owl, so I usually cave to watching late night TV with him.
16. Eat in or Go Out? I love to cook so much. I’d prefer to host at home and entertain!
17. Coke or Pepsi? Does Diet Coke count?
18. Carpet or Hard Flooring? Hard wood!
19. Country you want to visit? New Zealand looks so dreamy.
20. What do you do to unwind? I love to run.
21. Who is your Design Icon? Eddie Ross
22. Outside or Inside? Must I choose?
23. Piece of work that still makes you proud till this day? This is a tough one. I think our master bedroom ended up being such a special retreat that our whole family could enjoy.
24. What is the movie that you can watch over and over and it never gets old? Sound of Music. I love musicals. Call me a dork.
25. Favorite Social Media Platform? Instagram. I think photos are powerful.
26. What movie character do you think you identity the most with? Hmmm, maybe Andy from Devil Wears Prada. I identify with wanting to excel and also being a people pleaser, with also some quirk.
27. Cupcakes or Cake? How about pie? I’ve never been the biggest cake person, but I love a good strawberry pie.
28. Best gift you have ever received? For about 8 years I had dreams about a little girl named Ruby— always the same name, and same child and I just knew it was my little girl. We struggled with several miscarriages when trying to get pregnant. My husband bought me a ruby ring shortly before I got pregnant with my daughter, Ruby with the sweetest note that read “Our little Ruby is coming, we just have to wait a little longer.” A couple of months later I got pregnant with a little girl and she looks exactly like I dreamed her to be! I wear that ring nearly every day and it still makes me tear up.
29. Best gift you have ever given? I don’t know! You’d have to ask the people who received it I suppose. Hopefully I’ve given some good ones!
30. Would you rather talk to or text someone? This is a lame response, but text is so convenient and then someone won’t have a toddler trying to nab my phone during the conversation!
31. Coffee or Tea? Hot chocolate:)
32. One thing you cannot live without? chapstick
33. Favorite type of flower? Orchids
34. Best thing about this year? Spending more time with my daughter and husband.
35. What are you most looking forward to in the upcoming months? A huge new project— a complete home renovation of our new/old home— along with the birth of our second daughter. It’s going to be a wild ride!